JellyPages.com

Saturday, November 17, 2018

Paradox: Narrow, Narrow, Wide


When recently I missed the deadline to send my 'Narrow-Narrow-Wide' Paradox tile for Adele Bruno's 'It's a String Thing' (IAST) challenge #268 I decide the tile might be a candidate as my first contribution to the Facebook Zentangle Group 'ZIA Tips, Tricks, and Techniques'.


My Narrow, Narrow, Wide Paradox tile
My Narrow, Narrow, Wide Paradox tile



Although I tried to explain in words how I drew Paradox, words are often not enough. So when people showed interest and asked questions in the technique I deconstructed and reconstructed my 'Narrow, Narrow, Wide Paradox' tile and came up with the following Step-out.

1. The base string came from Adele Bruno at Tickled to Tangle as the weekly IAST string. If you are not familiar with her and her challenge IAST, please click on the link. Every week she provides a string and one or more tangles to challenge us. Instructions for the challenge are found on all her challenge posts and the good thing...you do not have to have your own website or be on a social media site to partake in her challenges, you email an image of your tile to her.

So here Adele's original string


Original IAST #268 string by Adele Bruno
Original IAST #268 string by Adele Bruno



Original string on my tile.


Original String on my Paradox tile
Original String on my Paradox tile



2. Sections/Segments. Next I added sections to the string. I may have missed the one or other section or made a mistake here or there...it wasn't easy to find them all and redraw them correctly, but I think you get the general idea. My goal was to get triangles.


Adding sections to the string to get triangles
Adding sections to the string to get triangles



3. Now the fun part started: drawing Paradox. Into each triangle I drew the paradox lines narrow, narrow, wide, or narrow, wide, narrow, or.... It doesn't really matter as long as you mix them up. In the below section I started with the top line narrow from left into the right corner. 2. line from the lowest point up to the left corner and finally the 3rd line wide from the right down to the bottom corner.


Narrow, Narrow, Wide 1. Section
Narrow, Narrow, Wide 1. Section



Then I added the 2nd section where I started with wide, then narrow, narrow.


2nd section added
2nd section added



Here the 2 finished sections.


2 sections finished
2 sections finished




Final Narrow, Narrow, Wide Paradox tile.


Final Narrow, Narrow, Wide Paradox tile
Final Narrow, Narrow, Wide Paradox tile



Tip: I always liked the 'fan' you can draw with paradox when 2 sections are drawn mirror style. Of course, this is possible with NNW as well when the base line for the wide lines becomes the base line for wide in the adjoining section (blue). If the adjoining section is narrow, the fan 'shades off' (green).


The Paradox 'Fans'
The Paradox 'Fans'



Coloring: metallic color pencils by Raffine.





I hope the step-outs are of use, but if you still have questions, please contact me.

Maybe one of these days I will see a 'Narrow, Narrow, Wide Paradox' tile on FB?


Happy Tangling








8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your NNW technique. I will try it and hopefully get a result near to yours. I really admire your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Susan. Thanks so much for your very kind remark. I am sure you will draw a very beautiful NNW Paradox. So easy, impossible to mess up. LOL

      Delete
  2. I’m going to give this a try. Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi. I hope you will try it...you just have to!!!! It's not just fun to draw (you know how many times I said: "narrow, narrow, wide"?), but the result will be fun to look at, too. Happy paradoxing.

      Delete
  3. OMG, your comments are back on! Wow. I loved this entire post. Inspirational. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Meridiana. Shall I say, welcome to my comments section? I opened this one because I am really interested what people think about NNW Paradox and if there are still questions or maybe somebody even has a better idea. So I call it "MY" Tips, Tricks and Techniques section. You are the line lady; I hope you give it a try one day. [A Paradox challenge, please!] Bye for now!

      Delete
  4. Ohh, thanks, Susie! This is a beautiful tile and now I know how to draw it! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise. Thanks so much for your kind comment. I am always glad when I can contribute to the tangle world. NNW Paradox is a simple variation to the already very popular Paradox, but I think it adds a bit of pep.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave a message if you have time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...