JellyPages.com

Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Helen's Journey G - Gotcha (variation)


Helen Williams has restarted her Journey through the alphabet, where to date we are at G.

G for Gotcha by Karin Godyns.

As is so typical of Helen she made a fantastic floral interpretation of this tangle. I on the other hand looked at it and wondered whether there will ever be a tile from me because I, too, wanted to draw Gotcha a little different to the original. I kid not, but I sat with paper and pencil for hours and sketched all kinds of Gotcha variations on the paper until around 2 this morning I had a solution. Indeed, I had my two variations I planned to execute.

Here the first Gotcha variation. I drew a wonky grid (hey, it is a Helen inspired tile; it needs a wonky grid) and the cross in the middle of the rectangles are S lines. With the shading I changed the center focus to be the corners. The rest is as per Gotcha. Oh, the added tipple came about because I made a mistake. No, I am not going to tell you which and you can look your eyes out, you will not find it anymore.

Tangle Patterns: Gotcha variation



Variation two of Gotcha. This is a bit more Gotcha abstract, but when you look at the step outs below, it is still Gotcha.


Tangle Patterns: Gotcha variation



I made photos while sketching Gotcha variation two in case somebody wonders. I started with a wonky grid and the cross in the middle is finely outlined with pencil only. In the end, only one line of the cross will be inked while the other is missing the middle part of the line.

Circle 1 - First "Gotcha" line reaches from corner across middle point
Circle 2 - 3rd line touches middle line, while the 2nd line reaches half way between line 1 and 3.
Circle 3 - I did this only on 2 opposing sides.


Gotcha variation stepout 1



Circle 4 - First line I drew on the center cross line touching the 2nd line. I added 3 more lines as shown. The last 2 lines are touching the other center line.
Circle 5 - Repeat on the other side. = Now we have all for sides and the only thing missing are the extensions  as per original Gotcha. Hope this helps.

Gotcha variation stepout 2


Just before Helen published her Gotcha tiles, she introduced us to her new tangle Spiral Rose. I included spiral rose in my Joey challenge #204 tile and made another one just for fun with Toodles.

Tangle Patterns: Spiral Rose with Toodles.




Animal Happy Day

The cat who adopted the fire brigade crew. It is so cute how a stray cat walks into a fire station, hunkers down, wraps every tough guy at the station around her left paw, and gets to stay to be spoiled rotten.






6 comments:

  1. I love both variations, Susie! The focus on the S lines in the first one is fabulous! What a great idea :) I am probably strange but I love the wonky grid with the sketched out lines on it before you did the pattern - so loose and just.....cool looking :) Great job! PS. your spiral roses look fab too!! hx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Helen. Actually the 2nd tile didn't look all that promising when I had it sketched. It looked better when inked. Then I added the black and bang! it popped!

      Delete
  2. Just as you, I'm fond of Helen's work but what you did with Gotcha is great too. Adding little Tipples is very clever to hide "mistakes" and really they look nice. When you didn't wrote it, no one could see they were drawn to hide something.
    I like both tiles but for me the second has just that tiny bit more to become my favorite and of course I love your combination of Toodles and spiral Rose on that beautiful background colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ria. You know, it was just a little line of about 2mm, but when every stroke counts a little outsider can easily be spotted. Thank heavens for tipple, right? Yes, I, too, prefer #2. When I had #1 finished, I thought I could have done it better if I had emphasized on a 3D effect. But when you are working hours on just ONE tangle, you are glad when you finally got something done!

      Delete
  3. Oh my. I'm not familiar with Gotcha and will have to go look at it and then come back here. Looking forward to that. All of these are stunning. And the Spiral Rose with Toodles--just exceptional. Your blog is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have placed a normal Gotcha tile!!! I thought of it at one stage, but the thought didn't root in my brain. I have a 'drama' brain with 'drama' meaning a 'drama' for me! Forgetting a lot!!! I like Helen's tangles, but some are a bit tricky for me. But spiral rose just flowed.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave a message if you have time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...