JellyPages.com

Saturday, March 10, 2018

DIVA 354, Joey 206, String Rose, a Wrong & a Reject


In DIVA #354 Siri is the tangle of the week. It is a grid tangle and looks amazing. But, as shown in my tile, it looks equally beautiful as a freehand drawn flower. I added one of my present fav tangles: Dublin. If you haven't given Dublin a go yet, don't! You risk getting addicted to it. The 3rd tangle, the one at the top left, is called a space filler. Yes, we need those, too.


DIVA Challenge #534 with Tangle Pattern Siri, Dublin, and the space filler.
Tangle Patterns: Siri, Dublin, and the space filler



Joey's #206 challenge is the first (for me) where we are asked to draw a tangle by Grafistka.com. I call it their 'waves' tangle and have yet to see a tangle they named. Maybe they call it 'this one' and 'that one with the dots'. Anyway, one of my other tangles is Kwazeela. I saw it in one of Gudrun S' tiles, but couldn't read the name and got curious. Thanks G, for the kick in the right direction. And then there is Earjool. I like it. So simple, 4 printemps around a circle, but still so nice and perfect as a filler, too.  Lily Bridge is the tangle in white. Bottom left yet another filler.


Joey Challenge #206 with tangle patterns 'Waves' by Grafistak, Kwazeela, Earjool, Lily Bridge
Tangle Patterns: 'Waves' by Grafistak, Kwazeela, Earjool, Lily Bridge



The Wrong - When I am confronted with a new tangle I practice it before drawing it on a tile - just so I get familiar with it. I am glad I did that with Siri. I drew it on a wonky grid and when I came to draw the inner strip, I noticed I had made a mistake and I started a new one. When both were done, 'unshaded', uncolored, I thought the wrong one was a stronger pattern. So I shaded and colored the correct one to bring out the tangle, but still, the wrong one was more dominant in my point of view.


The wrong...

...and the correct version
Tangle Pattern: Siri in wonky grids



And then there is the Reject. This was my very first tile for last week's DIVA #353, the last heart tile for the month of February. I didn't like it as soon as I put the tip of the brown pen on the green tile, but kept going. I finally got sever eye-pain when I added the white dots in the middle. I was lightning fast in not just throwing it in the bin, but crumbling it beforehand to make sure, I will not retrieve it. The next day I read Michele's coffee & creativity blog. She mentioned using old tangle tiles for her scrap-booking. Jeez, that's it. I am a minimalist, trowing away stuff is my favorite pastime. But things changed when I saw Marta's Art Youtube channel. I have done her envelope journal and am now in dire need of scraps and trash. So the tile came out and when I looked at it I thought 'it's not all that bad, just finish it'. So here it is. Note: I didn't sign it - I refuse to sign it!!! But I have a hot tip: Don't draw with a brown pen on green paper.


Out of the trash
Tangle

Finished and unsigned




Helen Williams' newest tangle is String Rose Swirls, the same beautiful String Rose she introduced beginning of February, but the Swirls one has tons more lines and she's got video tuts to help along. Below is not the Swirls version. I started with the simpler one and may the day come I dare...


Tangle Pattern: String Rose in wonky grid



Another tangle I got a liking to is ServRing. Here it decorates the corner of my 6th tangle journal.


Tangle Pattern: ServRing



And lastly my training tile for Joey's grafistka waves. I call it "All Hell Breaks Loose". Even the waves got turned upside-down.


Tangle Pattern: Grafistka Waves with PS background



Human Happy Day

A few days ago a Swiss friend of mine visited this year's first biggest European Motor Show in Geneva, Switzerland. She sent me images of futuristic looking cars to dream of and die for and at the end a video. No, it was not from the show (could have been - car theme and all), but from the biggest music weekend of the year in NYC. But hey, car is car.

Super Cool! Enjoy!



Thanks, Irene.






26 comments:

  1. Ha, I couldn't find this comment thingy from your web site but it appeared when I clicked from Joey's? Weird. Susie like usual I loved ALL of your tiles I guess I'd never make a great critic. I do think we are always hardest on ourselves. I know they say there are no mistakes in Zentangle but I see mine all the time.....now I call them variations 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trudi, thanks so much for lovely comment. We are self-critics, we all or most of us are, and for some it is hard to let go. As for comments: the comments section only appears on blog pages not on the frontpage. I hear you, what on earth is she talking about. Easy: a frontpage's link is: http://xxx.xxxx.com (end) a blog page is: http://xxx.xxxx.com/xxx/xxxx.html. Easy, right?

      Delete
  2. Just as Trudie, I like all your tiles. Always, I see beautiful unexpected surprises. Your orange Divatile is just gorgeous and about the Siri tiles, I like the "wrong" version the most. In your Joey's tile, I like the contrast of the beautiful drawn Lily Bridge.
    Shame on you Susie, to trow away such a lovely tile,I like it before and after but yes, after is my favorite of the two. Also your Servring is stunning but the winner of this post is the unique tangleation of Crest Ver 2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rai for always finding positive words for my work, even the mediocre ones. I just had a look at my reject again to maybe see what you see and nope, still don't like it. But then I don't HAVE to like every tile of mine. Having said the above, I do like my Siri flower though. It was a last minute decision, after I played around with it a bit. I also read on Joey's site that you found the name for that grafistka wave tangle. Sorry, I would have used the name, but the blog had already been written. Anyway, from now on you are my official tangle detective Poirot! 😛😛😛

      Delete
  3. Your brown-on-the-green tile is my favorite! Wow. Thank you for rescuing this one.

    And I will need to pore over this post a bit because there is so much information jam-packed in here. The links, the tangles I haven't heard about before. I have lots of catching up to do. You are a wonderful resource.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe it, Meridiana! You can't be serious!!! Not THAT one!!! I think you must have looked away from you monitor when you scrolled down and only saw the reject. Oh, Meridiana!

      Delete
  4. These are all so wonderful! All hell breaks loose looks like it's dripping in jewels. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for you kind comment, Dee. This wave tangle came with perfs and ovals, so I had to place them somewhere. Glad you liked the outcome.

      Delete
  5. Again you had a wonderful output this week, Susie. I don't know what my favorite should be. All tiles are great! I think, most interesting is the brown on green one. You createte a new technique, the wrinkled tile! The old version is wonderful drawn, but it urgently needed colouring. So the result is very beautiful! If you want to get rid of the wrinkles, you could iron it softly. I did this many years ago with a wrong folded plan while I was studying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margarete, for your kind comment. I discarded the reject before it was finished. When I added those white dots, I just had enough. My heart was not in it AT ALL! After I picked it up again, still, I was not happy. I know about ironing, but the tile just didn't deserve any further treatment once it was done.

      Delete
  6. These are all so beautiful and creative. I have to say that the first one is truly a show stopper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michele. This is the fist comment where 'show stopper' was used. But I take it...I have to admit, I like that tile the best, too. And of course, I am in love with Dublin!

      Delete
  7. Your work is wonderful. As always. Strong, creative, unusual. You really need to stop being so self-critical! Seriously!

    Highlights for me this time - that you managed to work wonders with Siri - I gave up! Your String Roses piece - sometimes black and white is perfect! And your Out of the Trash piece - brown is great on green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jem, for your kind words. I was close to pass on this week's DIVA challenge, too. Siri looked to complicated and then I drew it 'variational'. But I have seen yours, in the journal. Your 3rd sentence in your first comment paragraph I send right back to you. There was nothing wrong with YOUR Siri and I like the fact that you left some grids empty!

      Delete
  8. All beautiful, but the 'wrong' one is my favorite!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Anne. Glad we slip up every once in a while.

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for using Dublin in your first tile shown here. I used it in something and then couldn't remember what it was called and couldn't find it again. You've saved what little is left of my sanity. And so much of what you say resonates with me. I am too quick to through things away.Worse, I hoard others but never go back to finish them off or put them right. But you've given me ideas there too, because I have just started journalling and I'm going to look in the drawer of unfinished/not right stuff and give them a second chance - right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is my middle name, Sanity Saver, at your service, my dear. Dublin is a great tangle, I cannot stress it more often (sort of like "do not play with matches" just the other way round). I wish you good luck with your journalling. Maybe if you post something, you could leave a link?
      Thanks so much for visiting and commenting, Margaret.

      Delete
  10. The Siri tile knocked my socks off! What a gorgeous, rich background for the stunning "flowers" and "fillers". Wooooow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jennifer. The tile paper is from an envelop and the Joey tile is from the same paper, but the inside. In other words, I recycle packaging and I am glad tanglers appreciate the outcome. As for Siri, it wasn't easy for me either, but when I got the idea with the flower, I started to like it.

      Delete
  11. Gosh Susie! I'm at a loss for words! Everything is fantastic! Your Siri tile is so rich in colour... I love the loose organic lines of Siri! Your trash rescue is amazing!! L💜VE IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanne, thanks so much for your comment. Use a manila envelope. I also figured out a trick with photo taking (don't have a scanner). I take tile images in the shade, but make sure the side I want a bit darker is facing me, away from the direction of the sun. This adds an additional shading effect to the tile.

      Delete
  12. Dear Susie, this post with all the beautiful tiles is amazinG!!
    First of all thank you for your really stunning variations of Siri - I am thrilled especially by the first one - how dramatic!! but ist is impossible to decide for one fav! The "wrong" Siri is pefect for me- I agree with you that it has a great effect! I am happy that you shared it - honestly, NO Mistake !! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Simone. Siri posed a bit of a challenge as you saw, but once I got it, I saw the var potential in it. It is a very interesting tangle actually! Congrats, Simone.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave a message if you have time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...